Alcohol consumption is the third leading cause of preventable death in the United States, with over 80,000 people dying from alcohol-related causes every year. Despite its legality, alcohol has many adverse and potentially fatal effects on the body. Many people hesitate to seek out an Orange County alcohol detox program because they fear detox or how long the process might take, leaving thousands asking the question, how long does it take to detox from alcohol?
Symptoms of Alcoholism
It’s often hard to discern if someone has an alcohol abuse problem. Alcohol is common in the United States, and it’s typical for someone to consume an alcoholic beverage while celebrating or socializing. While the occasional consumption of alcohol is fine, it’s important to recognize the signs of alcoholism before it’s too late. Some of these symptoms include:
- Increased tolerance and requiring more alcohol to achieve the desired effects
- Experiencing cravings for alcohol
- Alcoholism and Depression Symptoms
- Having withdrawal symptoms as a result of no alcohol consumption
- Drinking alcohol in order to quell withdrawal symptoms
- Having problems at work, home, or school due to alcohol abuse
- Consuming alcohol despite the strain it creates at school or work, as well as with friends and family members
If you recognize that someone in your life exhibits these symptoms, then it’s time to reach out and help them find the Orange County detox center they need.
How Long Does It Take to Detox from Alcohol
Even if a person wants to stop drinking, they may hesitate due to fear of withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms are the body’s reaction to a lack of alcohol. Over a long period of consumption, a person’s body begins to rely on alcohol to function normally.
When a person detoxes, they flush the alcohol out of their system so they can begin treatment. However, how long does it take to detox from alcohol? Despite popular belief, alcohol detox doesn’t take longer than a week for most people. The alcohol withdrawal timeline typically includes three stages:
- First stage: Eight hours after the last drink, a person will begin experiencing anxiety, insomnia, nausea, and abdominal pain.
- Second stage: One to three days after the last drink, symptoms such as high blood pressure, confusion, and increased heart rate begin to occur.
- Third stage: After 72 hours, the most severe stage of alcohol withdrawal symptoms sets in with hallucinations, fever, and agitation.
Alcohol withdrawal symptoms are extremely similar to the flu, so it’s important for a person to enroll in a medically-supervised detox to manage symptoms and make the process as safe and comfortable as possible.
Finding Alcohol Addiction Treatment
Once you answer the question, “how long does it take to detox from alcohol,” then it’s time to find a comprehensive detox program. Morningside Recovery Detox Center offers professional residential detox programs in Orange County designed to suit the unique needs of clients from all backgrounds. As a pet friendly drug detox, we allow our clients to bring their furry companions with them to support them during recovery.
For more information on Morningside Recovery Detox Center, call us today at 855-283-3118. An alcohol-free life is waiting for you if you take the first step and make the call today.